Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
Mona Steck [Photos: Jenna Dosch]
This week, Mona Steck, who is the lead designer and president of Settings by Mona, gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she carries a Goyard Hardy tote. Find out what's inside Steck's handbag following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
Goyard Hardy tote
What does your handbag say about you?
I am practical yet fashionable. I wear classics.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
How about the most surprising thing?
Old boarding passes from trips taken months ago (India, Italy and a recent Jet Blue flight to New York City). I think it's time to throw them away!
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
A fabulous black suede Gucci bag from the very first Tom Ford collection for Gucci.
Name nine items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Prada black satin wallet — a place to keep my driver's license, credit cards, etc.
2. Hermes leather business card holder in orange — my favorite color is orange, our company color/logo is orange, and Hermes is classic chic. The perfect card holder for me.
3. iPhone charger — I am always paranoid that my phone will die when I need it most.
4. Tape measure — to measure tables, determine fabric drops, etc.
5. Note pen/pad — to sketch and take notes.
6. Barton Perreira sunglasses — I never ever walk out the door in the daytime without them, rain or shine. My eyes are very sensitive to the elements.
7. Crest Glide floss sticks — These are practically an obsession. These are a close second to my iPhone. I must floss after every meal.
8. Eos lip balm — Because I live in the desert.