Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
[Photos: Jenna Dosch]
Today, Charo Ronquillo, the general manager of Fizz Las Vegas at Caesars Palace, shares the contents of her handbag. She carries a Tiffany & Co. clutch. Find out what's inside following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
Tiffany & Co. clutch.
What does your handbag say about you?
The Tiffany Blue is very recognizable and approachable and at the same time screams sophistication, style, class, and practically represents some sort of celebration. I'm celebrating life.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
My cell phone — unfortunately, it's my life line. I know two phone numbers by heart and one of them is my mother's land line which gets sent to the answering machine 99.9 percent of the time. Not to mention EVERYTHING is stored in there. Emails, files, calendars, itineraries… I'd be lost!
How about the most surprising thing?
My Mini Cooper USB drive. Nowadays, everything is digital and USB drives are useful to have around. It's the only USB drive I seem to have been able to hold on to. It's kind of awkwardly shaped and a little inconvenient so nobody takes it, but it's so cute I could squeal.
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
My first Hermes! It was a simple garden tote, but it made me feel grown up. It wasn't flashy by any means and I knew it was special.
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Business cards. I carry two sets, mine and by boyfriend's. I love staying connected and even with everything being digital, old fashioned, business cards still do the trick. Then again, sometimes people are just trying to sell you something. I'm not saying I pass the buck, but it helps to have someone else's business cards that may be "of better help" than I would be. "Oh you'd like to show me a line of non-stick-non-slip-magical-hocus-pocus-zero-calorie-thingamabob? Here's my bf's business card, I'm sure he'd be interested." Evil.
2. Wine key. I like to think of it as the woman's Swiss army knife.
3. Some of the smell goods. I have a small bottle of Blvgari Omnia Amethyste I like to carry around; it's heavenly.
4. An extra pair of contacts, just in case. I'm blind as a bat and nothing is more awkward than waving at a phantom figure from across the room with a goofy smile on my face just to walk over and realize it's someone I've successfully avoided until now. Just kidding, kind of.
5. Disposable toothbrush because we're always eating or drinking something and I live in a world of people that like to be close enough to smell your breath when talking to me.
6. My gym card because I'm slightly obsessed. I'll flex for you one of these Fridays. HA
7. Some sort of nut butter… peanut, walnut, almond. It's a must. I get, what we call, "HANGRY" (because being HANGRY is much more badass than saying I'm hypoglycemic). Oh and peanut butter is yummy.
8. Smith's Strawberry Lip Balm. You can find it at Sephora or Urban Outfitters and you can use it for almost anything. We're in the desert and it's dry.
· Fizz Las Vegas [Official Site]
· All What's in Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]