Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
[Photos: Jenna Dosch]
This week, Wynn Las Vegas' resident illusionist David Shimshi shares what he carries in his bag. Shimshi, who appears on Syfy's newest show Wizard Wars as one of the home team of world-renowned "Wizards" who must defend their title against various competitors who come onto the show hosted by Penn & Teller, carries a Montblanc bag of prestidigitation. Shimshi was the last magician standing on America's Got Talent in 2008, spent two years performing at the Mirage and has appeared on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Regis and Kelly and Master of Illusions. Steve Wynn was so impressed with Shimshi's talent that he asked him to create an illusion act for the resort's show Le Reve. Here, find out what's inside Shimshi's handbag following the jump.
What kind of bag?
What does your bag say about you?
The bag is very elegant and the branding is very subtle. It doesn't have a big logo on it, however, I really like what the logo stands for (the six-point white star represents the snow-covered tip of Europe's highest mountain). It is also reminds me of the David Star and I love that, as I am originally from Israel.
What's the most important thing in your bag?
A deck of play cards because I can perform an entire show with just one deck if necessary.
How about the most surprising thing?
I have clear nail polish in my bag.
What was the first bag you carried that was memorable?
When I was 12, I bought my first magic bag called "Change Bag." I would carry it to perform at kids birthday parties. After four years, I stopped using the bag, but I still have it with me because of its sentimental value.
Name eight items in your bag and why you must carry them:
1. Playing cards — I'm sure it needs no explanation.
2. A Sharpie — When I barrow items from people to perform illusions with quarters or $100 bills, I always let people sign their name on it using a see sharpie so they do not think I switched anything. When the item ends up inside their phone case or in someone else's pocket, they know its theirs because of the signature.
3. Burt's Bees Lip Balm — I never like my lips dry, so I use it all the time.
4. Visine — It's a trick that I learned from being on television. When you use Visine eye drops, the white part of your eyes becomes brighter. It's a subtle detail, but I am all about the subtleties.
5. Magnets — Unfortunately, I can't say why, but I will let your imagination go wild.
6. A Samsung phone — There is a close up illusion that I love where I make a playing card appear inside the battery case and since my phone (an iPhone) doesn't have a battery case, I always carry an additional phone with one. I've always considered switching to the Samsung phone to make things easier, but I just love the design of Apple products too much.
7. A Rolex watch — I don't like to wear watches, but I wear one when I perform because I think it looks good. I always wait until I arrive to the event before I put it on.
8. My wedding ring — I always take it off when I perform because I like my hands to be clean when I do magic. For some reason, people always think it's magnetized.
· Shimshi [Official Site]
· All What's in Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]