Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
[Photos: Jenna Dosch]
This week, Laura Lee O'Connell, an actress who performs as Iowa Housewife in Menopause The Musical at the Luxor, gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she carries a Anuschka satchel. Next week we'll share the content's of her character's handbag. Here, find out what's inside O'Connell's handbag following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
Anuschka satchel handbag
What does your handbag say about you?
My handbag was a gift. It's lightweight leather with a hand-painted lotus flower on one side.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
My cell phone! Keeping in touch with my three sons and my mom who lives in eastern Kentucky is very important to me.
How about the most surprising thing?
Every day I carry different things in my handbag. I always like to keep something special nearby and like to change that item daily!
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
My first purse was my Nanny's. I would play with it at her house. I could always count on half of a piece of gum to be in there.
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Cell phone — To keep in touch with my family. Working a show on The Strip seven nights a week keeps you busy!
2. Harmonica — For those times when you feel like playing something.
3. Small blank book — To keep all of my thoughts and ideas in one place.
4. Pens, crayons and cray pas — For the moments when you need to draw what's popped into your mind.
5. Neutrogena light raspberry moisture gloss — It's important to keep your lips hydrated in the Vegas desert.
6. Pink round sunglasses — Because it's sunny more than 300 days a year in Vegas.
7. Rhinestone reading glasses in handmade felt case — Because I need them now.
8. Perfume oil — Running from being with my sons to working a show at Luxor can be tiring and you always want to smell good.
· Menopause The Musical [Official Site]
· All What's in Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]