Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
Amanda Hogan [Photos: Jenna Dosch]
This week, Amanda Hogan, chef and owner of AnyThyme Catering, gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she carries a white leather Hogan tote. Find out what's inside Hogan's handbag following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
White leather Hogan tote
What does your handbag say about you?
It has my last name on it! I didn't even know the brand existed, but I was shopping in Rome and saw the store and I had to get the bag because it had my name on it. It was also my first trip to Europe so has good memory. It's classic and simple, which is my style most of the time. I'm pretty boring the way I dress but I like to keep it simple. It is also big enough to hold clients' folders, and even my laptop if I need to bring it somewhere. It's cute and functional.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
My cell phone. I cant miss a call because it could be a job! And I use Yelp and the maps almost every day.
How about the most surprising thing?
There's nothing really surprising in my bag, but I guess I would say a wine opener. I always carry one because for some reason I always end up needing it at an event. Plus I drink a lot of wine. Our friends (who don't drink) invited us over one night for dinner so we brought a bottle of wine, and because they don't drink they didn't even have an opener at their house. We sat through the whole dinner staring at the bottle we couldn't open. Does that mean we have a problem? Anyway, after that, I always make sure I carry a wine opener.
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
My Lady Dior bag. It was a Valentine's Day gift from my boyfriend and it was the first really nice bag I ever had so I felt fancy carrying it.
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Wallet for money and ID
2. Cell phone for calls, work, emails, photos, map, Yelp...everything.
3. Business cards. I'm always trying to network and build my business.
4. Sunglasses. My eyes are very sensitive. I even have to wear them when it is cloudy.
5. Little notebook for when customers call and I'm out running around....lists, lists, lists.
6. Pen to write important things.
7. Dior Lip Glow. It is the BEST thing for your lips! It is like Chapstick/lipstick. It's sheer but enhances your natural lip color and is very moisturizing. I use it in place of lipstick all the time.
8. L'Occitane Amande Hand Cream. My hands are always dry from cooking and washing dishes. It's the best hand cream because it doesn't make your hands feel greasy.
· AnyThyme Catering [Official Site]
· All What's In Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]