Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
Melody Sweets [Photos: Jenna Dosch]
Today, singer and burlesque performer Melody Sweets from Absinthe at Caesars Palace gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she carries a Swarovski-covered vintage clutch. Find out what's inside Sweet's handbag, including two of the hottest things ever found in a handbag, following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
A Swarovski-covered vintage Vegas magic swagger clutch style handbag.
What does your handbag say about you?
I'm a sucker for sparkly things.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
Melody Sweets with Duo Vector [Photo: Jenna Dosch]
How about the most surprising thing?
Green feathers so I can repair my wings in the unlikely event one falls off while I'm flying. Oh, and, fairy dust.
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
My Nonna's circa 1930s Gucci handbag given to her by Gucci himself.
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Jo Wheldon's Burlesque Handbook. You never know when you'll need a pattern for cupcake-shaped pasties!
2. Top Stick so I can apply my pasties at any moment. I would hate to be caught in a burlesque flash mob and not be prepared.
3. Photos of my two kitty cutie patootie polydactyl pudding pops and their 49 toes because, well, they're the two cutest kitty cutie patootie polydactyl pudding pops in the entire galaxy.
4. A packet of 1,440 Swarovski crystals, in case I get the insatiable urge to bling something.
5. A tube of E6000 glue to cure my insatiable urge to bling something.
6. Absinthe's bodyguards and strongmen Duo Vector, so they can protect my 1,440 Swarovski crystals. Their washboard abs are great for hand washing my delicates.
7. An extra copy of my debut album Burlesque in the Black, signed and sealed with a kiss, to give away to a new friend, at any moment.
8. Rain Cosmetic's Red Carpet lipstick so I can kiss my debut album Burlesque in the Black, to give away to a new friend, at any given moment.
· Absinthe [Official Site]
· All What's In Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]