Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
Meeka Onstead [Photos: Jenna Dosch]
Today, Meeka Onstead, one of the burlesque dancers in Bourbon Burlesque by Holly Madison inside 1923 Bourbon & Burlesque at Mandalay Place, gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she reimagines what a showgirl would carry in her vintage evening bag adorned with Swarovski crystals. Find out what's inside Onstead's handbag following the jump.
What kind of handbag?
A vintage, hand-made evening bag adorned in Swarovski crystals.
What does your handbag say about you?
I am glamorous, all the time.
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
Probably the Rosebud Salve lip balm. It's dry in the desert so this is a necessity, dahling!
How about the most surprising thing?
A rare Tiffany & Co. pillbox full of Swarovski crystals.
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
A Christian Dior chapeux hat box from my great grandmother.
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Vintage brooch — this was given to me by legendary burlesque dancer Josephine Baker. It fixes any wardrobe malfunctions, and can also act as a cute hair accessory.
2. Rosebud Salve lip balm — this works on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING! *wink
3. Pearl necklace — pearls are always appropriate for any situation.
4. Sheet music — as a singer and dancer, I'm learning new music constantly.
5. Yves Saint Laurent Exquisite Plum Rouge Volupte Shine lipstick — this dark vampy shade is altogether alluring…I almost feel naked without it.
6. Tiffany & Co. pillbox filled with Swarovski crystals. Just because.
7. Vintage bracelet — another accessory, to finish off yet another costume.