Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Hal Rubenstein has been leading the charge of unearthing the biggest fashion trends coming out of MAGIC Market Week. The guest fashion director of WWDMAGIC and editor at large for InStyle magazine dished on some of the top trends from the show.
This WWDMAGIC showcased some of my favorite Fall 2014 trends!
1. I expect to see a lot of dynamic color — think rich, saturated hues. Neutral tones are taking a backseat this season for bold colors that will get you noticed. Wait until you see how many different shades there are to orchid
2. Outerwear has become so important at every level of retail and due to this season's punishing weather it will be foremost on every retailers mind. Classic apparel — accented by clean lines with great attention to detail, will be side by side with technologically innovative new fabrics and convertible pieces that can be worn for more than one season
3. Fashion, day or night, work or weekend, wedding or streetwear now has to be wearable and relatable. The customer wants fabrics that feel as good as they look, whose fit lasts beyond a season. Also, people want their clothes to work as hard as they do. So there will be an emphasis on pieces that can dress up, dress down, or be worn in numerous ways.
4. Basic clothes do not inspire passion. So look for clothes that are going to get customers excited and revved up about their wardrobe. There is a strong desire for luxury, for outstanding shapes, for details that make clothing personal, and for quality that lasts. A great wardrobe can work MAGIC.
· All Coverage of Las Vegas Fashion Week [Racked Vegas]
Bright colors and outerwear, all in one look [Photo: MAGIC Market Week]