Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome to What's In Your Handbag?, a new weekly feature that looks inside someone's handbag to answer the burning question, what do you have in there? Want to nominate someone? Shoot over an email with details.
Mia Alfonso [Photo: Chelsea McManus]
Today, Mia Alfonso, who works as a healthcare administrator for Desert Institute of Spine Care, gives us a glimpse of what she carries in her handbag. Here, she carries a Alberta di Canio handbag replete with studs and filled with lots of business cards, worry beads and a treasure from South Africa. Find out what's inside following the jump.
Mia Alfonso [Photo: Chelsea McManus]
What kind of handbag?
I have a taupe Italian leather Alberta di Canio handbag. It has gold studs on it — it's very biker chic.
What does your handbag say about you?
My handbag tells everyone I am a professional businesswoman. I mean business… but I'm also quirky, fun and unique!
What's the most important thing in your handbag?
I always keep a healthy supply of Desert Institute of Spine Care business cards. My work is my passion and I genuinely believe in the good things that Dr. Andrew Cash and his team are doing for our community. In working with Dr. Cash, I've seen firsthand how he can help Las Vegans live happy and healthy lives.
How about the most surprising thing?
I went to South Africa in February and it's such a beautiful place — it really made a lasting impression on me. Tucked away in my purse, I keep a wooden rosary that I purchased in Cape Town. It's made from a unique type of tree that grows there.
What was the first handbag you carried that was memorable?
My first serious handbag purchase was a Prada back in 1991. It was one of those classic little bags and it was a big deal for me. I lived in New York City at the time and it was all the rage to have a Prada back then. Ally McBeal was popular and the trend was sophisticated girls in Manhattan with cute skirts and Prada bags. I was living the dream in the city!
Name eight items in your handbag and why you must carry them:
1. Business cards galore! I always carry cards for Dr. Andrew Cash, Dr. Nicole Dalessandro and Dr. Michael Horan. I'm always looking to connect people with the best orthopedic surgeon, podiatrist and neurologist in the valley.
2. My business cards. I don't have quite as many of my own cards as our doctors in my purse but I need to stay connected too!
3. My cell phone. I have a brand new Galaxy 4. I'm still learning how to use it but I love all of the features I've discovered thus far.
4. An appointment book. It's hot, leather and pink. It's my go-to for everything that's on my schedule.
5. Prayer books. I carry two prayer books, a Lutheran one and an Anglican one called Day by Day. I'm a believer in everyone's religion and consider myself a very spiritual person.
6. Worry beads. Buddhists use these little beads, which I like to keep on-hand. When something is preoccupying you, all you have to do is play with the beads or wear them on your wrist. It really helps you reduce stress and re-focus.
7. My American Express business card. I never leave home without it because, as I said before, I mean business!
8. Mac lip gloss. I have this amazing, lush color. In fact, I don't know if they make it anymore. I really need to re-stock because I use it quite a bit and am running low on my supply!
The items in Mia Alfonso's handbag [Photo: Chelsea McManus]
· All Coverage of What's in Your Handbag? [Racked Vegas]